If running Crunchbang in VirtualBox, or any other Linux distro, it’s really useful to add the VirtualBox Additions. This provides access to share directories on the host file system, dynamic desktop resizing, clipboard sharing and access to the USB devices on the host.
Initially it was not obvious how to get this to install in Crunchbang. There were a number of things to overcome. The user account does not have sufficient permission to execute the installer on the disk, also by default the required software to compile the linux kernel modules is not there.
So this is what’s I found to be successful:
- In the VirtualBox window menu, select Devices -> Insert Guest Additions CD image …
- In CrunchBang open the File Manager, this will for the CD image to automount
- Close the File Manager and any accompanying notifications
- Open the terminal and sudo to a root prompt
$sudo su - root
- Update the system to ensure that all the installed packages are up to date
#apt-get update #apt-get upgrade
- Now add the packages required for the Kernel Module compilation
#apt-get install build-essential module-assistant
- Then run the VirtualBox Client Additions installation
- Having installed the Additions exit root (Ctrl-D) and close the terminal Ctrl-D)
To install the inevitable updates, follow the same process but omit the apt-get install command.